I thought I’d heard just about everything until my daughter, Catharine “Goose” Cody, informed me recently that one of her very attractive friends was angry. “Why?” I asked, “Because her boyfriend is withholding,” she answered matter-of-factly. “Withholding what?” I asked naively. “Sex,” she responded.
I was flabbergasted. A red-blooded man withholding sexual favors from a woman? “Are you serious?” I continued. “Oh, yes,” she replied. “It happens quite often.”
– He’s stressed out (gimme a break. Name a better stress buster)
– He’s pissed off at you (ok, I buy that one)
– He’s freaked out about commitment (maybe)
– He’s worried about his sack skills (again, gimme a break)
– He wants to break up (so, just break up already. Why make both of you miserable?)
I’m not sure if withholding says more about the image of the withholder or the withholdee. You see, I grew up in a generation where guys would never, ever consider withholding in bed. In fact, the very thought is mind-boggling to me. Still, after global warming, an unprecedented economic downturn, eight horrendous years of W and now learning that Joe the plumber isn’t licensed, I’m willing to believe just about anything. I’d like to write more but I think I’m getting a headache.
Thanks to Catharine Cody for the idea.