Yes, Virginia, Joe the Plumber has retained the services of a public relations firm. Joe, an unlicensed Ohio plumber who skyrocketed to fame as a result of challenging Barack Obama and subsequently appearing on John McCain speaking gigs, has hired The Press Office in Nashville.
According to O'Dwyer's, Joe is hoping The Press Office can create enough buzz for him to land a Country & Western record deal. Apparently, Joe does far more than simply unclog toilets. He also sings and plays guitar.
Can you believe the lunacy of this? And, you know what? Some bogus record label will sign Joe hoping to gain some buzz from his ersatz buzz.
I can just imagine the album.
I'd call it "Joe the Plumber Pipes Up" and would suggest such singles as:
– "If I Had a Wrench"
– "Plumbing the Depths"
– "(I've Got) Those Palin Blues"
– "A Red State Blue Collar Guy"
– "Mac Ain't Back'"
– "Oh Mama, Tell Me it Ain't Obama"
This has platinum record written all over it.
And, how about the PR firm? I can just imagine their next big business presentation:
– Prospective client: "So, tell us about your agency."
– "Well, we're based in Nashville, have been around for years and represent such classic brands as Grand Funk Railroad, Waylon Jennings and, oh yes, Joe the plumber."
Gimme a break! This could only happen in America.