You know times are tough when "Fortune Small Business" runs a 10-question survey business
owners can take to determine what kind of shape their business is in. I decided to see how I’d do…
1) Is your problem cash flow, dwindling profits or both? That’s Ed’s area. Not mine.
2) Has the problem been fixed? I’m not sure. But, Ed’s been looking a little stressed of late.
3) Are you in an industry that’s going bad, making it hard to profit? I hate to say it, but public relations is still one of the first things companies cut when the going gets rough. That said, I count my blessings everyday that I’m not in advertising.
4) If you can fix the business, how much money can you make in the future? Let me ask Ed and I’ll get back to you.
5 )If you decide to quit, what will the consequences be? Most likely, a huge celebration.
6) Could you make more money or be happier doing something else? Yes, playing center field for the Mets.
7) Do you have any fight left? Are you kidding? Bring it on.
8) How are you holding up physically? The female construction workers still whistle at me.
9) Do you just feel alone, or are you really alone? I dig solitude.
10) Are you having fun? Depends on the day, but overall I’m loving the challenges that come with running a business in the midst of an apocalypse. Anyone can run a business in boom times. Ed and I are at our best when the chips are down, so watch out world.